Simon Cowell flashes peace sign after £100k of gems and cash stolen as he slept



SIMON Cowell flashes the peace sign just a day after his £10million mansion was burgled. The X Factor guru, 56, looked relaxed as he arrived at the X Factor studios ahead of tonight’s semi-finals, despite the scary break-in at his home. Simon, along with girlfriend Lauren Silverman, 38, and baby son Eric were asleep when the burglar sneaked in, only discovering the news when he was awoken by a bodyguard.

The thief searched for valuables and spotted the key to Cowell’s safe. He then cleaned out the strongbox of cash and jewellery.

One source said: “Unfortunately security was anything but safe. The burglar found the key and ‘bingo,’ he was in. “Some of the gems were sentimental and there was some cash in the safe. “The value of what was taken is well into six figures.”


Cowell’s bodyguard was woken by an alarm being activated at 2.20am yesterday. By the time he reacted the burglar had fled in Holland Park, West London.

A family friend said: “Obviously Simon and Lauren are really badly shaken by this. “It is a horrible violation of their privacy. But more than anything they are incredibly relieved no one was hurt. “As upsetting as it is, Simon can cope with losing possessions, as long as his family are safe. That is his one and only concern. “Still, it’s incredibly worrying and he is obviously going to review security. “He likes to live as normal a life as possible and doesn’t want his house to be like Fort Knox, but his family need to feel safe in their own home.”


The star, worth at least £300million from the worldwide success of his Syco Entertainment company, has a personal bodyguard on duty 24/7 and hi-tech alarm systems. It is not known how the burglar got in, if they deliberately targeted the mansion, or if it was a random break-in. But questions were raised about the music mogul’s security precautions. As well as leaving his safe key easily available to find, Cowell could have provided the crook with invaluable help by inviting TV cameras into his home two years ago to promote his search for a YouTube star. The film is still available to see online and one source said: “It would be priceless in itself to any crook.”


A Met spokeswoman said: “Police were called to an address in W14 on Friday, 5 December, at approximately 02:20hrs to reports of a burglary in progress. “Officers attended the scene but the suspect had left the area.”